Dear U-E community,
Here is the schedule for upcoming ZOOM meetings:
I understand it's hard for many folks to participate, so I wanted to share with you the items that have been discussed to date:
1. Instruction/Grading: We realize remote learning cannot look like classroom learning, and ask that students/parents simply do the best they can in this environment. We are working to limit the number of skills being taught and the number of assignments being given to help alleviate stress on families. In addition, the fourth quarter grading system will be shared on Friday, with no students failing due to remote learning.
2. Graduation: The district and board of education wish to have a graduation ceremony for students, but need time and state/local guidance as the date approaches. One suggested approach is to hold graduation on the U-E field with students spaced to allow for social distancing. In this scenario, the immediate family members could be seated apart in the stands, with the ceremony live-streamed for extended family and friends. Afterwards, an optional "car parade throughout the community" was suggested to conclude the event.
3. Other Celebrations: We are considering ways to implement other celebrations such as moving-up ceremonies, prom, etc. We would like to have prom in the future, but need to wait until it’s acceptable to hold such events.
4. Reopening Plans: As of April 29, we do not know when schools will reopen. At the same time, we are discussing plans for when school does reopen. There are many considerations, including PPE/masks, cleaning, transportation, lunch schedules, limiting large groups, what to do if someone is diagnosed in a building, etc. We have been sharing ideas at the Zoom meetings, but we are still in the planning phase.
5. Budget: We are waiting for more information on how/when the NYS school budget vote and board election will occur, as well as the possible impact of the “measurement periods,” where the state can take funds away from school districts over the course of the next year. We are very concerned about school funding, and we appreciate your support.
Please let your children know we miss them and look forward to seeing them again!