Good afternoon! Here are updates for the month of October, with new information indicated in yellow.
- October Board of Education Meetings – There will be a Board of Education Meeting at AGM Elementary School on Monday, October 4 at 7:00 p.m., and a second meeting at TJW Elementary School on Monday, October 25 at 7:00 p.m. If you wish to watch from home, the link will be posted on the district website prior to each meeting.
- (NEW)Early Release Drill – The annual 15-minute early dismissal drill is on Thursday, October 7. This drill, one of several fall and spring building safety drills mandated by New York State, must be tested at least once per school year and must occur no more than 15 minutes prior to the normal student dismissal time. There are several components to the drill, including helping schools practice their evacuation and communications procedures and assisting the bus garage with emergency transportation procedures. Parents should anticipate their child getting home 15 minutes earlier than usual.
- (NEW) “No School for Students” Reminders for October – There is no school on Friday, October 8 for Superintendent’s Day and Monday, October 11 for Columbus Day.
- (NEW) Homecoming Parade – The Union-Endicott Homecoming Parade is on Saturday, October 9 at 11:00 a.m.
- (NEW) PSAT/SAT Exams –
- UEHS Students: On Wednesday, October 13, all students in grades 10 and 11 will be taking the PSAT exam, and all students in grade 12 will be taking the SAT exam. There is no cost to the family for these exams. Please contact your student’s counselor with any questions.
- Tiger Ventures Students: On Wednesday, October 13, all students in grade 11 will take the PSAT exam, and on Thursday, October 28, all students in grade 12 will be taking the SAT exam. The PSAT exam for grade 10 will be in February. There is no cost to the family for these exams.
- (NEW) Important Information on Annual School Budget Vote in May - For the 2021-22 school year, the Union-Endicott Board of Education has made the decision to consolidate the school budget vote polling locations to one site, the District Office. The decision was made for a few reasons. First, with the current structure, U-E buildings are open to voters and students throughout the day. By using the District Office, the community and students are in separate locations. Also, there has been a reduction in poll workers over the past year. Consolidating to one site will allow available workers to serve the community in one location. Finally, the District Office space is centrally located and handicapped accessible. Rest assured, during vote day, all current safety protocols will be in place. The District Office parking lot will be available to voters, and voting will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17, 2022, at 1100 East Main Street in Endicott.
- 2022 UEHS Graduation – For planning purposes, the Board of Education has approved the June 2022 Graduation Ceremony to take place on the UEHS Athletic Field on Friday, June 24 at 6:30 p.m. Having graduation on a Friday night provides more opportunities for an outdoor ceremony in the event of inclement weather. (i.e. rain dates – Saturday and Sunday)
- 2022 Tiger Ventures Graduation – For planning purposes, the Tiger Ventures graduation will be at LWW on June 23 at 6:30 p.m.
- (NEW) Interim Director of PE, Health & Athletics - Pending Board approval on Monday, October 4, we would like to introduce John Allen as our Interim Director of PE, Health and Athletics. John is a retired administrator and athletic director (with a certification in PE) from Seton and Chenango Valley and lives in the Endicott community. While his work at U-E will not be full-time, John will be available as needed to support our programs and staff. Based on feedback from stakeholders, we are considering other opportunities for a position to oversee/be present at athletic events. In addition, Toby Riddleberger will continue to support the overall athletic program as needed.
- (NEW) Please consider filling out an application - Our schools are receiving free breakfast and lunch this year, but the Free and Reduced Application (for all students) assists with future opportunities and state reporting. Below is the link from the website; the applications are in the lower right corner. Please note: JFS and UEHS use a different application than the other Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools. Thank you for your consideration. https://rockoncafe.esvbeta.com/FreeReducedInformation_UE.aspx
- Weekly eTiger Trends Newsletter – Sign up for weekly email messages: https://bit.ly/3niPkw5
- (NEW) Department of Health Quarantine (DOH) Rules – Based on updated DOH requirements, we have had less impact/fewer quarantines than last school year. Click here to see the updated DOH guidance on contact tracing: School Guidance.pdf (southcentralric.org)
- Technology Support/Help Desk – Please call 766-3800 if you need assistance with your child’s computer.
As always, feel free to reply to this message with questions or comments.