January 2022 updates
Good afternoon! Here are updates for the month of January, with new information indicated in yellow.
- (NEW) COVID Updates – We learned yesterday the CDC is recommending the number of days in quarantine and isolation be reduced from the current number of days in quarantine and isolation. We are waiting to hear from the NYS Department of Health on the official adoption for New York State school districts. More information coming soon.
- (NEW) Safety Updates - At UE, we have a Director of Safety (Toby Riddleberger) who oversees the Safety Teams at each school building. These teams work collaboratively to meet all of the NYS mandates, including 8 fire/weather drills, 4 lockdown drills, 1 evacuation drill, and 1 tabletop drill. These mandated drills help faculty, staff, and students prepare for emergencies, whether it's a lockdown, lockout, or shelter-in-place. In addition, Toby facilitates fire inspections around the district and attends safety meetings with the Broome County Office of Emergency Services. Other safety measures in the district include having video cameras at all buildings and walkie-talkie communication systems. Each school building has a secure vestibule and badge access system for entry. In addition, U-E has a School Resource Officer (SRO) at our high school, and the board has recently approved another at the middle school to be added in the spring. In light of recent events, we recognize the need for a Community Zoom focused on safety in the district after the winter break. This Zoom will focus on the resources and procedures currently in place districtwide, also allowing time for the community to ask questions or share ideas. More information will be forthcoming.
- January Board of Education Meetings – There will be a Board of Education Meeting at JFS Middle School on Monday, January 3rd at 7:00 p.m, and another Board of Education Meeting at GFJ Elementary School on Monday, January 31 at 7:00 p.m.
- (NEW) “No School for Students” Reminders for January – There is no school on Monday, January 17 for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. School resumes on January 18, 2022.
- (NEW) Regents Exams Canceled – The New York State Education Department is canceling the January 2022 administration of the New York State High School Regents Examination Program in response to the ongoing impact of the COVID–19 pandemic. This means school will be in session for all students, including high school students, on January 27 and 28.
- Important Information on Annual School Budget Vote in May - For the 2021-22 school year, the Union-Endicott Board of Education has made the decision to consolidate the school budget vote polling locations to one site, the District Office. The decision was made for a few reasons. First, with the current structure, U-E buildings are open to voters and students throughout the day. By using the District Office, the community and students are in separate locations. Also, there has been a reduction in poll workers over the past year. Consolidating to one site will allow available workers to serve the community in one location. Finally, the District Office space is centrally located and handicapped accessible. Rest assured, during vote day, all current safety protocols will be in place. The District Office parking lot will be available to voters, and voting will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 1100 East Main Street in Endicott.
- 2022 UEHS Graduation – For planning purposes, the Board of Education has approved the June 2022 Graduation Ceremony to take place on the UEHS Athletic Field on Friday, June 24 at 6:30 p.m. Having graduation on a Friday night provides more opportunities for an outdoor ceremony in the event of inclement weather. (i.e. rain dates – Saturday and Sunday)
- 2022 Tiger Ventures Graduation – For planning purposes, the Tiger Ventures graduation will be on June 23 at 6:30 p.m.
As always, feel free to reply to this message with questions or comments.