Homeschooling Information

Voice Recognition

Homeschooling Information

Welcome Home School Parents!

In making a decision about your child's school placement, be aware that home schooling (or home instruction) is NOT the same as remote learning.  When home schooling, the parent or guardian assumes the role of teacher and is responsible for choosing curriculum materials, performing the teaching role and filing all the reports required by the NYS Education Department. The parent/guardian must provide a written instruction plan for the school year (a complete syllabus including a list of curriculum materials), quarterly reports (similar to a report card) and an annual assessment.  
Union-Endicott has contracted with Broome-Tioga BOCES to collect and review all documentation related to home schooling. If you wish to instruct your child at home, the BOCES website will provide you with current information on home schooling including the required forms and other valuable parent resources.
Please call our office, or the BOCES Home School Liaison office to speak to someone about your home school questions. If you prefer, you may schedule an appointment to discuss home schooling questions in person. We are also available by email.
If you would like to instruct your child at home:
1. Read the NYSED Regulations Part 100.10 regarding Home Schooling.  The link to the regulations is to the right.
2. Send a Letter of Intent to Home School to the BOCES Home School Liason Office indicating your intent to educate your child at home. This is a letter from the parent or guardian stating that their child(ren) will be home schooled. Please include the following information: your child(ren)'s full name and date of birth; School District you reside in (Union-Endicott); grade level; the date you intend to start home instruction; and your full contact information: address, phone number and email address.  BOCES will respond by sending you the appropriate paperwork.
3. Submit an Individualized Home Instruction Plan (IHIP) and Quarterly Reports to the BOCES Home School Liason office, following the timeline described in the Section 100.10 regulations.  Sample forms are available at the link below. The IHIP is a document that indicates the exact curriculum materials and syllabus, by subject, the parent/guardian will teach their child(ren). The Quarterly Reports are required 4 times per school year based on dates chosen by the parent/guardian. The grade-specific quarterly reports must include the total number of hours of instruction provided, a description of the material covered in each subject, and an evaluation in each subject or a written narrative evaluating the child's progress.  You may visit the BOCES link below to access samples of the IHIP and Quarterly Reports.
Please indicate that Union-Endicott School District is your district of residence on all of your correspondence to BOCES, as they administer home school services for many of the area school districts.  BOCES accepts all documents by physical hard copy dropped at our office, USPS mail and email.

For more information about home schooling, contact:

Lynette Bryan
Supervisor of Home School Coordination
BOCES - Johnson City Learning Center
500 Main Street
Johnson City, NY  13790
Phone (607)766-3728
Fax (607)763-3273 
Erin Eckert
UE Home School Coordinator
Director of Curriculum & Instruction K-5 
ENL Coordinator
1101 E. Main St.
Endicott, NY  13760
Phone (607)757-2130
© 2023. Union-Endicott Central School District. All Rights Reserved.
View text-based website