Principal’s Message – March 13, 2015
Attention UEHS students and parents:
- Please help support our students through the Scholarship Opportunities for UE Tigers: March 20 at AC Moore - 10% of your purchase will go to Scholarship Opportunities for UE Tigers. The annual Phone-a-thon drive for support will be on Sunday, March 22, from 4-8 p.m. On April 11 we will have an Ozzy’s BBQ fundraiser from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the District Office parking lot. Please come out to support our Tigers!
- We saw a fairly significant increase in the number of unexcused absences last marking period, up considerably from the same time last school year. Please remember to call in and write an excuse for your son or daughter when they are sick or out of school for other excusable reasons. A student is considered absent when they miss at least three periods of school in one day. One unexcused absence typically results in a disciplinary consequence. If your child has missed days in the past which were excusable, we can still excuse them with a note, assuming it was for a legitimate reason (ie. sick, doctor’s appointment).
- Attention freshmen failing two or more subjects: Please see your guidance counselor or assistant principal about your status regarding lunch time academic study hall. If you have managed to bring your classes up to passing averages, you will exit the program as early as March 16th. Those of you who are either now failing or still failing 2 or more subjects, please be prepared to put additional effort into your studies and remember to attend 4th period Academic Lunch in room 329.
- CONGRATULATIONS to those UEHS students who recently participated in the NYSSMA Area All-State Festival, held at Ithaca College:
Women's Chorus: Julia McCloe and Khala Hurd
Mixed Chorus: K Morgan Prikazsky, Heather Hommel, Amanda Curtis, Danielle Zareski and Andrew Mott
Band: Roger Il Grande, Christa Denmon and Seth Gutman
- Congratulations to UEHS English Teacher Kellie Krieger and UEHS PTSA Treasurer Sandy Gutman for being honored as this year’s Founder’s Day Award recipients. Their dedication and commitment to our Tigers is second to none and is greatly appreciated!
- UEHS is proud to be represented once again in this year’s Binghamton University Bright Spots competition. John Boedicker, Alec Grassi, Wyatt VanVestrout, Ben Kent, and Ben Bedosky have worked hard in this case study competition to develop a proposal to better the Broome County Area.
- A special thank you to UEHS Italian Club for organizing a benefit dinner for the Mercy House of the Southern Tier. The pasta dinner was at the Sons of Italy in Endicott and $1,720.00 was raised and presented to the Mercy House. Grazie - thank you to all the students, friends, family members, and Italian teachers who helped make this event a great success!
- Congratulations to this year’s boys’ basketball Section IV Champions – The UE Tigers!
- Tea Club is the newest student group at UEHS. Receiving funding through various grants and parent donations, Tea Club meets every Tuesday and Friday morning during extra help in room 416. Our goal is simply to imbibe warm beverages and socialize. Whether you prefer green tea or oolong, we have a spot for you. We even have cocoa for the chocolate lovers among us. We also provide snacks. Special thanks to the lunch ladies for providing us with hot water each week. Thanks also to Mrs. Libous, Mrs. Knadle, Mrs. Kosteva, and Mrs. Smales for providing goodies and supplies. All students are welcome at Tea Club. Please feel free to join the club.