Principal’s Message – October 7, 2014
· On behalf of the administration, faculty, and staff of Union-Endicott High School, I would like to thank all students for organizing and participating in a very enjoyable Spirit Week and Homecoming Weekend. Congratulations to all of our Homecoming candidates and thank you to all students who volunteered in our annual Homecoming Parade and Pep Assembly. Our guest speaker, former Syracuse University punter Rob Long, was amazing. His words of encouragement, respect, and striving for the best even when facing life’s most difficult challenges, were inspirational, to say the least. Go Rob Long! Last but certainly not least, what a great homecoming victory…Tiger style!
· Yearbook Senior Deadlines Have been set:
o Senior portraits are due to the yearbook club by October 17.
o If your portrait was taken by the official school photographer, Prestige Portraits, they will forward the photo to us by the due date. If someone else has taken them you will need to make sure that your picture has been sent to us by the due date. If you still need to have a portrait taken contact Mr. Manchester in room 150.
o “Baby Pictures” and “Before and After” Pictures are due by October 31st.
o Email submissions can be made at UEHSYearbook@uek12.org.
o To Purchase a Book or Parent Message for your senior go to the Yearbook Web page at http://www.uek12.org/YearbookSite.aspx
· A huge thank you to all the students, parents, and teachers who are participating in our annual exchange with the good folks of Bolzano, Italy. The Italian students arrived on the Friday of Homecoming weekend and several already were in the UE spirit with their orange and black attire. On Sunday afternoon we held our annual welcome dinner at the Sons of Italy hall. As always, the dinner and desserts were delicious. Please help us in welcoming our friends from Italy and making their visit to Endicott one which they will never forget.
· Attention all students interested in taking the ASVAB, please see your guidance counselor at your earliest convenience. The test will be given this November. This test helps students assess their skills and occupational interests and is voluntary.
· A reminder to senior students: If you haven’t already done so, please begin checking in at the guidance office for meetings with college representatives. It’s that time of the year where many of you will be applying for early admissions and begin making some decisions about your future. Be sure to meet with your guidance counselor when appropriate and start your applications.
· Attention Freshmen students: As you have now likely settled in and become familiar with the daily routines of the high school – lunch, lockers, your schedule – it’s time to take that next step. Pick up on the study habits of your fellow classmates and upper classmen who have found academic success. Get involved in extra-curricular activities – sports, music, art, clubs, etc. Start forming study groups and follow the guidelines that you’ve heard over and over again for several years: get plenty of rest and eat breakfast!
· Attention sophomore students: This is the first year that most of you have enjoyed the privilege of an open campus for lunch. Please be mindful of what is expected of you as a student of Union-Endicott High School. Be back to school on-time for your 6th period class. Follow all traffic laws, including when to cross E. Main St. Be respective to community members, motorists, and local entrepreneurs.
· Attention all students and parents: The make-up policy for PE at UEHS is as follows –
o See your attendance teacher with your readmit slip
o See your teacher 24 hr. in advance to see which period is appropriate to come in to do a make-up (0 period/study hall or lunch)
o If your teacher teaches that period they will write you a pass. If not, they will direct you to the teacher that is teaching that period to make sure that it is okay to come in. Your teacher will then write you a pass.
o Students, it is your responsibility to bring that pass to your make up class and have the teacher sign it. Once that is done, return it to your attendance teacher to receive credit.
· Attention students: for a frozen yogurt from our cafeteria, on me, be the first and seconds ones to email or see me with the answer to the following UEHS trivia question – What was our current library in 1949 and what was its nickname? You must have both answers correct. Hint: ask some of our staff members who may remember or know through their parents.