Principal’s Message – February 9, 2015
Attention UEHS students and parents:
- Attendance Reminder: We saw a fairly significant increase in the number of unexcused absences this past marking period, up considerably from the same time last school year. Please remember to call in and write an excuse for your son or daughter when they are sick or out of school for other excusable reasons. A student is considered absent when they miss at least three periods of school in one day. One unexcused absence typically results in a disciplinary consequence. If your child has missed days in the past which were excusable, we can still excuse them with a note, assuming it was for a legitimate reason (ie. sick, doctor’s appointment).
- Freshmen failing two or more subjects: Please see your guidance counselor or assistant principal as you will be assigned to an academic study hall during lunchtime. At the 25-week mark, you will have an opportunity to exit the program if you are passing all or all but one of your courses.
- Seniors who failed a half-year core course (English, health, science, or social studies): You will have an opportunity to pass that course through our new Course Recovery Program during your 6th period lunch. All seniors who failed such courses will be assigned to a computer lab 3 days out of 6 and will be using our Edgenuity Program, which is also used for credit recovery. Please see your assistant principal or guidance counselor for details if you haven’t already done so.
- Congratulations to all UEHS students who successfully passed a Regents exam this January! If you are unsure about which exams you will need to take or retake in June, see your guidance counselor.
- Congratulations to all UEHS students chosen by our teachers to be honored later this month at our Student Recognition Ceremony! The ceremony will be held at 7:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 24 in the UEHS library. Refreshments will be served at 7:15. If school is canceled due to inclement weather, the ceremony will be held at the same time on Wednesday, Feb, 25.
- The Italian Club students are having a dinner at the Sons of Italy this Thursday, Feb. 12 from 4:30-7pm to benefit the Mercy House. Students have sold about 370 tickets at this point. Please help support the Mercy House.